Saturday 23 April 2011

Post Brands News

Well, as a mentioned to a few people at Brands, I had some interest in the Westy from someone over the winter which came to nothing, but the guy called me on the Thurday before Brands and asked if my car was still for sale as he had just sold his and had cash waiting. I didn't know what I would buy instead so I said I'd have a chat with a few people to get some ideas about what might be avialable. Tim Gray had some ideas about a spare Phoenix he was building, but it wouldn't be ready for Snetterton. Then Tim thought that Duncan might still be interested in selling his Phoenix. Of course I didn't have to think about that for long.
So by Friday the deal was done. The Westy is on it's way to Devon for a life of hillclimbing and occassional road use. I am now the proud owner of Duncan's Phoenix which I sat in for the first time on Friday morning at Tim's place.
So I will be at Snetterton. New car, new circuit. New class. Hang on while I think of some excuses why I won't be as quick as Dunc. Seriously, it will be a challenge to get up to pace, but I honestly can't wait. 
I'm really looking forward to the challenge of matching guys like Austen and Paul Rickers.
May do a test day before.

It feels like the end of an era for me. I've never raced anything other than the Westy. I've driven a few other things on track but never raced them, so it is quite a change. I'm no natural talent so it may take a bit of getting used to. I'm sure it's the right thing to do though. The class A is clearly withering, and whilst it has been good in a way to get a couple of 2nd in classes, it's a hollow victory when there are only 3 of you!
So I'm going to mix it with the big boys and see how we get on!
See you at Snett.

No comments: