Sunday 8 June 2014

Silverstone and Snetterton

I won't try to build the suspense. For most of you it will be old and rather boring news anyway. Silverstone brought my first class win. Woohoo!!!

This, as you might gather, is a big deal for me. Like I've achieved a major lifetime ambition.
In fact, i'd go as far as to say, the proudest moment of my life (oh, just to be clear, in case my wife is reading this, that does not include my marriage, and anything that my daughter has ever done!).

Anyway, enough of the gushing. Here's what happened.

I was up at Silverstone on the Friday for a test session. Good job I did really 'cause the clutch was still not right. Tim and the guys fettled away trying to fix it, but all we could do was get the car running for a few laps, after which i might as well've not had a clutch pedal.
We ran out of time to do anymore for the race day so we just had to hope that it would all hold together for the racing.

It didn't.

Still, even struggling with the clutch, I managed to qualify 2nd in class (just 5 thenths off Paul Rickers' time) and 4th in the second race.

Sadly Paul broke his engine in qualy and was out of it. Dissapointing, as I have been measuring my performace against him and I was getting close to him at Doni.

Still, as it turned out, Steve Bell proved to be my main rival this time.
The video is here if you want to watch it.



 It was exciting stuff.  Steve got ahead early on (I reckon I got slowed by Paul Rogers' whereas Steve was a bit further back and missed it). I then got involved in a class R battle which put some space between Steve and me, but I then caught Steve and got passed him round the tight hairpin. Then, using his pesky driving skills, he got me back again and despite some serious hussling, he stayed ahead to the line. We were tenths of a second apart across the line.

 Great stuff, and equalling my best result ever (discounting the technical class win when Al Boulton got disqualified), but somehow I felt I should've won it as I had the pace, but failed to translate it into a win.

Still, there was always the next race.

This time I was further back on the grid in 4th. I managed a blinding start and was ahead by the first corner. I'd also worked out how to change gear reasonably smoothly without the clutch. The car felt great and I just went. Following in the wake of the class R cars, I never saw Steve this time.

Crossing that line with the chequered flag waving, knowing I had won the class, and with Tim and all the guys cheering from the pit lane,  and me punching the air with delight, I've got to admit to filling up a bit! That moment right then. THAT is what this racing stuff is all about. My first ever 'proper' class win. Yeeeehaaahhh!



Moving on to Snetterton.
I wasn't particularly confident about this new 300 circuit so I thought I'd go testing on the Saturday.
Tim had sorted the problem with the hydraulic clutch once and for all; by ditching it completely for a cable.
I missed a one of the test sessions as it was raining so hard it would've been pointless, but fortunately it all cleared up by the afternoon and I got some sessions in. It was a case of going out, coming in and showing Tim my videos and looking at the data to see just how crap my driving was, getting some intructions on how to fix it, and getting out there again.
Unbelievably, my times came tumbling down during the afternoon. My quickest time here last time out was a high 2:10s. I'd done a 2:06.0. Wow! That's quicker than the official lap record (although it doesn't count as a lap record as that is only during a race).
Obviously it's quite possible that everyone else will be going quicker as well compared to last time, but it was encouraging.

Again I was disappointed that Paul Rickers wasn't going to be there. I assume he hasn't fixed his engine yet. Steve Bell was though so I was looking forward to a rematch!

So blow me, I qualify on class pole for both races with two laps in the 2:06s. Nearly 3 seconds quicker than the next quickest class F. Notably Steve Bell was well off the pace, and it turned out that he'd had a wheel bearing failure. Sadly he didn't make the first race.

So race 1. Video's here:
and we we're on the telly!
Check out my first race winner's interview:

http://vimeo.com/97451588

As it turned out it was an easy win. I'd let a couple of class R cars get ahead of me, not wanting to get involved in their battle. This was was a mistake
as I was being slowed by them. Fortunately it didn't matter as Dave Watson was a fair distance behind, but note to self: don't do that again!
So my second win in a row. I didn't cry this time, but it still felt awesome!

Video here:



The second race proved to be more exciting, but less successful.
Steve Bell was back. He got ahead of me off the line and I spent the race chasing him.
Again I had a class R battle to avoid as well, but the second half of the race was just chasing Steve down, having nearly been bumped off by Mr Moore who tried to use me as a brake into the hairpin!
I clearly has a bit more pace than Steve, but just wasn't brave enough to pull a clean overtake on him.
Should've got him into the essess at one point, and round corum.
On the final lap I was right up with him out of the bomb hole, and I thought now's my chance. Unfortunately I took the wrong decision to go to the right of him. Got along side round corum and thought i might get ahead before the left hander, but Steve was having none of that. So I backed off a bit and went for the undercut, but sadly all a bit too late. Tried to boot it a bit early and got all sideways coming out of that last left hander, and then the sprint to the line was a very equal drag race. Steve crossed the line a few hundedths of a second ahead.

Close, but no cigar!

Still, it was one of the most exciting races ever for me. What a buzz!!!

So there we are. Two meetings in a row with a 1st and a 2nd place in each. What's going on?!
Well, I haven't suddenly become a better driver over the winter. The improvement is down to Tim Grey and this awesome car that he's built. Obviously I have to be there, but the improved pace is down to the car giving me the confidence i need to go faster. It really is amazing. It's also a virtuous circle. The car is giving me confidence and Tim is helping me with my driving, which I can now translate into going faster because the car is so good. I think there's more to come!

So I'm really looking forward to testing my new found pace against the established class F leaders like Austen and Paul. That will be the test. Can't wait for the second half of the season...






No comments: