Sunday 6 May 2012

Brands Hatch, April 2012.

So second weekend of the season. Brands Hatch.
I had high hopes that I could do well here as it's the circuit I know best. The forecast was for rain all weekend though so anything could happen.

Sure enough, Saturday morning was wet. And cold. I know that 'cause after an hour in the scrutineering queue I couldn't feel my feet any more.
Qualifying was interesting. Here's some video (still a novelty for me this video lark!).



Let's see, two spins, several avoiding of other peoples spins, and lots of sideways moments, but I come through it with a reasonable 4th in class and 14th/13th on the grid for races 1 and 2. Quite pleased with that.
Nothing much to do to the car for the race other than one new tyre. I may not have bothered if it had been dry but the rain clearly wasn't going to stop so it made sense.

Race 1. 14th on the grid. I'm on the outside of the track and I remember from my last wet race here that the outside line around Paddock tends to be grippier in the wet than the inside.
I get an absolutely storming start getting past two rows off the line. Then round paddock and past some attrition straight away. I find myself up with Derek and Al going into Druids and stick with them. Going into Clearways I actually thought for one scary moment that I might even get past Al. This was like one of those parallel universes in quantum theory where everything is the same except,
in this world, James Walker is actually quite talented!
Anyway, this lasted a lap and a half. Going through Surtees for the second time and I caught some deep water and span, and span some more until I was on the grass on the outside of the track facing the wrong way and watching all of my esteemed competitors driving safely by... apart from Austen who had been right behind me and span in sympathy.
For a brief moment I thought I might actually be able to get back on the track before he did and stay ahead. Sadly the grass tends not to offer much grip in the wet and my attempts to get back to the tarmac were at least balletic, but slow. I would have been better off swapping to the Bongo at that point!

Anyway, I got back on eventually but behind just about everyone. What followed was, for me, one of the most exciting drives of my life. I was like a man possessed, determined to catch up. I did in fact manage to get back up to 4th in class, where I started.
Whilst I was pleased with that, and it must have been good to watch, I can't help thinking what might have been if my talent had not run out on lap 2. (to quote Jason Plato commenting on his own spin at Thruxton on the telly later, my little bag of talent wasn't quite as full as I thought it was!).

Enjoy the video highlights:




 So that was Saturday. The rain didn't stop for a moment and I was very glad of the TGM motorhome. The evening was fun, spent mostly in the Spire camp for Steve Robinson's birthday celebrations, whilst the wind and rain tried to wash us all away.

Sunday's race was at 4pm so a slow morning was spent, mainly watching the BTCC on the telly. You can never have too much motoracing can you!

Race 2. Amazingly it actually stopped raining about an hour or so before the race so it was back to a dry set up. Whilst I was one position higher on the grid this time, it meant I was on the inside, nearest the pit wall. So there was no cruising around the outside this time.
As it happened my start was not great and I lost several places straight off. Colin Spicer got ahead of me into Druids and I spent the next couple of laps getting past him. Great racing, but it meant that I lost sight of Austen who was the length of the straight ahead of me by the time I got a ahead of Colin. The rest of the race was a lonely cruise home.
I finished 4th in class which was ok, but I must admit that I was slightly disappointed that my lap times where still in the 53s. I thought I should be a good second quicker than that by now. Maybe it was just being out on my own that knocked the edge off, although it felt at the time that I was pushing as hard as I could, at least for a few laps.

Here's the video highlights:

Anyway, I should't be too hard on myself. I was pleased with my performance in the wet, and race 2 was fun, if ultimately not exceptional. Note to self, must be braver into Paddock, must be braver into Paddock, must be.......

Just as a footnote, and I really don't want to sound like a grumpy old man (although I'm about to anyway!...). Race 2 ended with a slightly sour taste. The club decided that I did not deserve any points for that race because my reverse gear didn't work properly after the race. The regs say you should have an operable reverse gear. Well I can't deny that it didn't work when tested. My argument that it must have broken during the race was met with disdain and the comment that it was therefore not up to the job.  I could appeal their decision if I paid £300 there and then. No opportunity to check the car to see what had broken.
So that was that. All points for that race deducted, and a warning that if I did it again I could have negative points or even be excluded from the championship.
I know the rules have to be enforced, but I thought it a bit harsh. Does everyone else realise that if your car suffers damage during the race, which means your car doesn't then comply with the regs, you can lose your points? What about damaged bodywork meaning your ride height is too low for example.
Ok rant over. To misquote a famous Hollywood interpration of William Wallace, they can take away my points, but they can't take away the fun!

Cadwell next...





No comments: