Monday 1 November 2010

Birkett, Silverstone 2010

Back to Silverstone for the Birkett. It's a 6 hour relay race. That's 6 cars per team, all on the Grand Prix circuit. The 'RGB Pups' were back in action. Only 4 of us though (Bob, Austen, Ben, me and our team manager Tim C) so we were up for plenty of track time.

I really enjoy this event because we rarely get the chance to race with such a wide variety of other cars. We get lots of overtaking and watching out for being overtaken. Plus this year we get to race on the Grand Prix circuit so I was learning a new track as well (missed out on the test session the day before, but that's another very boring story).
I also really enjoy the social the night before (could have been a tad warmer but we suffer for our art!).

So it all started well enough with the first sessions being dry. After 30 mins or so I was really starting to get the hang of it. I love it when you're learning a new track and you start to realise when you are really on it and pushing your limits. Not that I ever got a totally clear lap, but the overtaking is all part of the fun. For the record, my best lap, which I assume was in that first session, was a 2:12. Based on the fact that Austen did a 2:07 I was either driving like a muppet, or never got a clear dry lap. I prefer the latter! (Big respect by the way Austen!!).

Anyway, things took a slight turn for the worse towards the end of my first session when my rear brakes seemed to give up completely which meant the fronts were locking up everywhere. That's not a good thing by the way. Very scary actually especially after the long straights.
So much of my time between sessions was spent trying to bleed the brakes (thanks Ken, by the way). As it turned out, it didn't help much. To make things worse my next session was very wet. I had a bit of braking but had to pump like mad which meant I miss judged a few corners. Managed to stay on the track though.

I think my driving in the wet is improving though. There were points on the track where loads of cars were spinning where there was so little grip, but I managed to stay on. I have always spun at Copse in the wet on previous visits to Silverstone but I think I've cracked it this time!

My last session was half dry but my brake problems persisted. I thought I would stick with it as I thought I was managing to maintain a reasonable pace. I then has a slight altercation with a Clio cup car. It came past me on the new pit straight and then pulled in in front of me and braked hard into the left hander right in front of me. My lack of brakes meant I ploughed into the back of him. We both carried on without really noticing, but the impact rather detroyed my nose cone. Fortunately nothing worse than that.


So after all that, and various other troubles with my team mates, we were a long way down the results list. But it just goes to show, it's not all about the result. I have nver had a wider grin on my face after my stints. It is just the best fun...(in Jeremy Clarkson voice)...in the world!

I can't wait 'till next year.

I'll do a review of my year here shortly, and will be doing the awards dinner in January so see y'all again soon.

No comments: