Monday 5 April 2010

A Slight Diversion - Palmer Sports Day 25th March

I'm writing this on Easter Monday having got back from Copenhagen on Saturday. Sadly missed the Mallory race - I simply did not have the time over the last couple of weeks to get myself organised for it having had the most stressful week at work ever and a minor matter of our passports needing renewing with 5 days to go! Anyway, that's another story.
Work in the week before my holiday was particularly hectic because I had a day out on a jolly. I was invited to a Palmer Sports day with some work colleagues (someone else was paying!). I have done this day before and it is a not-to-be-missed opportunity.
We get to drive (and I mean drive properly on the limit) 9 different cars on various different circuits. The cars were a BMW M3, Renault Clio Sport, Porsche 911, Caterham 7 (twice), off roading in a Land Rover defender and karts - and the main event - the Palmer Sport JP1 sports prototype and the Formula Jaguar single seater.
The was all timed so was competitive - really competitive as it happens. The problem was it was raining on and off all day so some of us got to drive in the dry and sometimes in the wet so an overall comparison was fairly meaningless. However, and I'm sorry to blow my own trumpet here but it doesn't happen very often, whenever i had a dry circuit, my times were the quickest of the day - except -rather ironically- with the Caterham pursuit- where you had to negotiate a tight circuit and do a power slide and a doughnut. I say ironically because this is the closest car to the Westy - but not the sort of driving I am used to.
Anyway - the Porsche was great fun. The instructor was getting very excited about my driving. It was a tremendous ego boost that he was shouting encouragement as we got quicker and quicker and ended up doing a time that he said was amongst the quickest they have ever had. (I'm sure he was just massaging my ego but it felt really good!). I really enjoyed the way you can throw the weight of that car around to set you up for a corner and then just drift through it on full power. It was truly addictive - I might have to get one!

I was also the quickest of the day with the Renault (again nothing like what I am used to) and the single seater which was much closer to the sort of power to weight that I am used to. Also it was dry when I started the session, and then it rained but the tyres were hot and the car had plently of aero so I hardly noticed any loss of grip. It was a great feeling to be nailing it in the wet - something I simply can't do in the Westy.

I realise that the company I was in was not quite as experienced as me but they were some pretty good drivers there and the competitive spirit was very strong. I came away with a very massaged ego and prizes (they would only let me have one even though I'd won three of the events just to be fair to everyone else - not at all fair if you ask me!)

Anyway, if you ever get a chance to do that event - especially if someone else is paying - it must not be missed I promise.

So- next time out is Brands on 24th April. Watch this space...

No comments: