Thursday 13 August 2009

Mallory Park. 2nd August 09

I think this weekend qualifies as one of the best ever. Not so much in terms of absolute results, but in terms of some great, close battles on the track.

Just for the record, I had two races, with a 16th place (5th in class) and a 12th place (4th in class) with my best lap time of the day of 51.64 in the second race.



It was another example of a very close field. I noticed that I have knocked about a second off my time when I first raced here. If I knocked another second off my time I ought to be getting about 4 places up the grid, but I would still only be about the 4th quickest in class A. So I have a lot of work to do to be consistently getting even a regular 3rd in class.



Still, as I say, the absolute result is not what it's about. Both races were exceptionally close and the just the best fun. The second race was especially exciting as I was behind Andy Grant most of the time and I knew I was quicker on the track, but I just could not find a way past (even though Austen did which was rather depressing!). There's some good video of this from Austen's car at this link (health warning - watching in-car video is very boring unless you were there!!).



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVXukh94pIs&feature=player_embedded



Sadly the video misses my major drifting moment into Gerrards. From where I was sitting it felt like I was on full opposite lock for half the corner, but it probably looks like a imperceptable twitch on film. Shame. That was my one failed attempt to dive up the inside in a heroic overtaking manouvre into Gerrards which sadly failed. Hey ho!



So areas for improvement as always - 1.race craft. Must learn to be a little braver and overtake now and then. 2. must learn about suspension set up.



I've now bought a book re point 2. Off to read up on it now.



Silverstone next. Can't wait.



Oh by the way, I was just giving that upstart Mr Hamilton a few tips the other day when he popped in to my Baker Street place...


No comments: